The treatment and management of colds and influenza mainly involves relieving your symptoms, though they ordinarily resolve on their own. If you have a chronic health condition, a cold or influenza can worsen whatever condition you have, particularly diabetes, or chronic heart and lung diseases. Occasionally viral upper respiratory infections develop into complications like ear or sinus infections , or pneumonia .
The goals of treatment are threefold:
- Make yourself comfortable while the illness runs its course.
- Manage other conditions so they do not worsen during upper respiratory infection.
- Prevent complications from developing.
Treatment involves the following:Lifestyle changesMedicationsAlternative and complementary therapies
There are no surgical procedures for the treatment of colds and influenza.
- Reviewer: David L. Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 09/2018 -
- Update Date: 09/17/2014 -